Wednesday, May 23, 2012

This recession feels longer than a Michael Bay bombing scene

The more time I spend at work, sitting on this hardwood, semi-swiveling stool and hearing customers come in and say "Are ALL your pumps pre-pay?" the more I realize how much work sucks. That's alright though, I like to picture everyone hating their job at some point. The only difference is that I'm stuck working at a gas station while others are stuck being the CEO of Washington Mutual or J.P. Morgan.....oh whoops, too soon? Nah, they won't see this. If you do though, are you guys hiring? Oh shoot! Too soon again?

Sometimes, after I've ran out of Frosted Flakes and I've reached my limit of reading ESPN's millionth article about LeBron James, I'll get a little philosophical and ponder the sequences of life and how work comes into play.
  1. We all start off as the helpless little ball of goop, constantly dependent on our mom and stinking up the house. You cry, poo, eat, and.....that's about it. It's probably the most stressless part our lives and we can't remember it! 
  2. Then we move ahead to the young and weird my-hair-won't-stay-down phase of our lives. It's in this phase where not getting asked to the school dance by someone is the crappiest day of our life. I'm still waiting for my wife to ask me to this years prom, even though we're both graduated and I've graduate from college......the point it is, I'm still waiting and times a wasting. If you're like most kids  you probably had a part-time school job, unless you're me and that continues through college beyond. Awkward.
  3. Then we go into college life. Ah, good ol college life. You go to school, learn new things, meet new people, and are suddenly the smartest person in the entire world. There is no way that anyone, anywhere else knows all the things you know. Oh what's that you say? You've never heard of Pavlov's Classical Conditioning Theory? Well, allow me to educate you because I know everything about it. Yes, the college years pump a sense of self-worth into our systems, making us feel like we can do anything, and tackle any battle which should be good because then we can get a good job, right?
It's after college where life really starts to begin. You didn't know this but everything else before that was just easy. It's at this point where you wish you had a DeLorean and could go back in time. The baby boomers are getting old and they are mean and pissed off (except a select few). From my observations it seems that we have unqualified individuals in areas of expertise (Congress and CEOs for big corporations) that don't know what the hell they're doing while perfectly qualified people sitting at home collecting unemployment checks. Hmmm, maybe this is because companies don't want to hire anyone without a Ph.D. and 89+ years experience, which by that definition should make their ideal candidate about 154 years old. 

Recent college graduates who took out student loans are now suffering because they only have one half of what employers want. How do I know all this? I'm living proof! Only Clark Kent (Superman) would have been able to go to school full-time and gain all the necessary work experience that employers require. Then there's people like me who received degrees in the Arts and Social Sciences that go through a lamenting period where we realize we probably should have majored in something harder, like engineering or computer science. It's funny too because in all your introduction classes explicitly tell you how much money you can expect to earn with just a bachelors degree in that field. We still chose to stick with it though and now here I sit at my same gas station job, planning my next venture back to school. You can't get a degree in these sorts of fields and make a living off just that. You pretty much have to plan on going to graduate school of some sort or go back and get a degree that makes you money. In my research I've found that both serve up pretty challenging endevers, both leading to one thing.....More student loans.


So what are we to do about this dilemma? We'll just have to wait and see I guess. Even with pockets of employment are popping up here and there, it's not enough. There are millions of college graduates from 2010-2012 wandering around like zombies holding their degrees saying, "Hire me, Hire me, Hire me!!!!" Hopefully things will start to look up. In the meantime this recession is like a fat kid at McDonalds just eating away cheeseburger after cheeseburger.  
















1 comment:

  1. As an English major, the thing you say when you are graduating and looking for a job is (like you said) I should have picked a harder major. Or you say wait...why did I even go to college? Because all that really seems to matter is working and getting the experience. Well that because the economy is so effed around backwards. Getting a degree in liberal arts you're like I need to go to more school (like you said)But then we just go more and more into debt and that doesn't even guarantee you a job and sometimes it doesn't even guarantee you a good job so then you have massive student loans to pay off. Its kind of like the United States and there never ending national debt. They are now just making up numbers to calculate how much debt we have. The point is this Michael Bay bombing needs to end. You know you're country is screwed when the master degree student is applying at McDonalds. Wait? Why did I go to school? cuz now I can't pay my rent or my student loans now so then I go on well fare and I borrow more money for the government. People who go to school should be rewarded because we are actually trying to benefit society by working. Matt me and you should be millionaires already. Sorry for the long rant. I just wrote a blog on your blog.

    ReplyDelete