Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Just Finished a new book!


Well, I just finished the book, "The Road" By Cormac McCarthy, which is going to be a movie coming out soon staring Viggo Mortensen and some little kid.
Before I get into the things I liked and disliked about the book I'll give you a brief summary of what it's about. The world basically a baron waste-land that, I think, has been destroyed by natural disasters and other unfortunate events (explosions, nuclear war, dwindling resources, and blah and blah) The actual time period in which the story takes place is years after all this destruction has happened. To avoid giving away a lot of what the story is about, McCarthy paints a pretty bleak visual for the reader, the world is all "ashy" and grey. Cities are destroyed and there's basically nothing, zip, nada, ZILTCH! The main characters are never named they are called "The man" and "The Boy" They are traveling down the road (hence the name of the book) towards to coast because "The Man" believes that there could be something there still. The book consists of the trials and tribulations that they encounter along their way to the coast. Thats all I'm going to tell you! You'll have to read the book to see what sorts of "adventures" they have, haha.
Alright now I'll describe how I liked the book by dividing it into 3 parts. It went something like this,

1st part- Boring
2nd Part- Still kind boring/Getting interesting
3rd part- Better/That's it?

My overall feeling for the book was, it's very well written and it easy to read but at the same time I was bored for almost the first half of the book. Let's put it this way, I thought the cover made the book seem a little more exciting than it really was, haha.
Don't let my review stop you from reading it though, I think that Cormac McCarthy is a really, really talented writer. He's really good at making the story visual and real feeling. He also wrote "No Country For Old Men" which I didn't know until after I read this book.
Well that's pretty much all I have to say for now. If anyone has some extra free time to read, check this book out, maybe you'll like it better than I did!


Love you all,
Matthew

3 comments:

  1. Good review, Matt. It's good to read even if you don't like it. Keep the review coming. I'm always interested in hearing about new books.

    You should read the Twilight series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! I agree, it's always good to read even when it's not the best book! I will for sure keep writing up the reviews.
    ehh I'll twilight to you and Brittney hahah :)

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok I didnt know you had a new blog! geeez! thanks for letting me knooow! :( haha

    ReplyDelete